1. Surplus Portfolio 2012 is a suite of seven prints.
2. Each print is hand-printed using two woodblocks on a sheet of Japanese Kozuke paper.
3. The blocks are carved into variously-shaped parallelograms.
4. Each edition is like the open spread in a book, with paired parallelograms as abstract book pages.
5. Turning pages, each print shares one block from the previous edition.
6. The most obvious way to read a book is front-to-back.
7. Blank books are endlessly written.
8. My shelves are filled with unread books.
Toronto-based artist Derek Sullivan was born in 1976. Recent solo exhibitions include Albatross Omnibus, the Power Plant, Toronto (2011) and Right, write, wright, rite at Galerie Tatjana Pieters, Ghent, Belgium (2012). His works have been included in group exhibitions at the Australian Centre for Contemporary Art, Melbourne; Casino Luxembourg, Luxembourg; Badisher Kunstverein, Karlsruhe; Witte de With, Rotterdam; the Swiss Institute, NY; and Galerie Johnen, Berlin. Two of his Poster Drawings are included in the collection of the National Gallery of Canada, and his artist’s books have been collected by institutions worldwide.
Represented by Jessica Bradley Inc., Toronto
and Galerie Emmanuel Hervé, Paris